How to Communicate Effectively via Video Conferencing
With a massive surge in remote working, not to mention the global scale of industries in the business world today. Video conferencing has become a vital tool for companies to effectively communicate with both clients and employees alike.
With the ability to improve the quality of meetings, enable more efficient communication, develop a sense of familiarity and form an integral connection when carried out correctly, video conferencing can be incredibly beneficial to your business.
That being said, there are instances when it is not appropriate or when it will be less effective. As a manager or leader, you need to be able to identify these times.
Keep reading to discover everything you need to know about video conferencing. From how to get set up, using it effectively, to what situations you should avoid at all costs.
What Do You Need to Carry Out a Video Conference Call?
If you are a complete beginner, you may wish to know how you can get your office set up for a video conference call. Fortunately, it is very simple, and you only need a few basic pieces of equipment to get started:
- A camera and a microphone: Most laptops, tablets or mobile phones will already have these devices fitted into them and therefore you will be good to go immediately.
- An internet connection: Of course, you will need to be connected to the Internet in order to make a video conference call. It is advisable to ensure that you have a strong connection so that you can enjoy good quality picture and sound.
- A VoIP provider: This is the software platform needed to run a video conference call.
How Can You Communicate Effectively Via Video Conferencing?
There is little point in carrying out video conferencing calls if they turn out to be ineffective and counterproductive. In fact, with virtual communication it is more important than ever that you communicate effectively. Failure to do so can result in a breakdown of relationships that is much harder to salvage than face-to-face ones.
It can be a good idea to undertake a communication skills training course from corporatecoachgroup.com. This can help you learn the importance of gestures and other non-verbal ways of communicating and teach you how to make the right impression via a virtual transmission.
Other ways you can communicate more effectively via video conferencing include:
- Setting an agenda prior to the call
- Being aware of different time zones
- Getting rid of any distractions such as other devices or obstacles within the room
- Ensuring that you are familiar with the features of video call conferencing
- Practicing patience by listening respectively to the other person
- Selecting the right venue
- Wearing appropriate and non-distracting attire
When Should You Not Use Video Call Conferencing to Communicate?
Of course, if you are unable to meet in person due to distance restrictions, then you may have to rely on video call conferencing. However, there are times when this way of communicating is not recommended.
- When the internet connection is poor
- When a specific agenda is not set. A freeform debate is better carried out via a voice call
- When you have more than five people to communicate with