Using & Defining Conventions for On-Page SEO Efficiency
Digital Hill Multimedia, Inc.
On-Page SEO Conventions
Often times clients or prospective clients get discouraged when I tell them they have to write 60+ unique page titles and meta data for maximum SEO success with 60+ pages on their site. That’s a daunting task for anyone even SEO professionals. However, over the years I have discovered a very efficient methodology for writing unique SEO strong page titles, meta keywords and meta descriptions. Once you have a primary keyword phrase defined for your overall website and primary keyword phrases for your subpages you can easily define a repeating convention for your page titles and meta data while maintaining uniqueness for each. Below is an example:
Overall Website and Home Page Primary Keyword Phrase: Fort Wayne Web Design
- Title: Fort Wayne Web Design
- Meta keywords: Fort Wayne, web, website, design, development
- Meta description: Fort Wayne Web Design is a full service Web Design and Internet Marketing Company serving Fort Wayne, IN.
SEO Subpage X Primary Keyword Phrase: Fort Wayne eCommerce
- Title: Fort Wayne eCommerce – Fort Wayne Web Design
- Meta keywords: Fort Wayne, Web, Design, Fort Wayne eCommerce, Services
- Meta description: Web Design Fort Wayne eCommerce solutions and services.
SEO Subpage Y Primary Keyword Phrase: Fort Wayne Web Hosting
- Title: Fort Wayne Web Hosting – Fort Wayne Web Design
- Meta keywords: Fort Wayne, Web, Design, Fort Wayne Web Hosting, Services
- Meta description: Web Design Fort Wayne web hosting solutions and services.
The above examples represent a clearly defined SEO convention that offers unique page titles and meta data for every page in a website. Since you know what the primary keyword phrase is for each page it’s just a matter of replacing the keyword phrase from one subpage with the primary keyword phrase from the next subpage for successful SEO. Below is an example:
SEO Subpage Z Primary Keyword Phrase: XYZ ABC
- Title: XYZ ABC – Fort Wayne Web Design
- Meta keywords: Fort Wayne, Web, Design, XYZ ABC, Services
- Meta description: Web Design Fort Wayne XYZ ABC solutions and services.
You may also notice I have broken the defined SEO convention on the home page meta description. That’s a conscience decision because I know it will most likely be the most competitive keyword phrase on the search engine results page (SERPs). As a result, I must make sure the meta description is competitive with other websites on the SERPs. So, the finished meta description is a result of competitive research and keyword SEO.
In addition, you’ll notice that the defined meta description convention includes the overall primary keyword phrase switched. Instead of having “Fort Wayne Web Design” in the meta description it says “Web Design Fort Wayne.” This is done because I know that the primary keyword phrase for the internal pages will start with the phrase “Fort Wayne.” Otherwise my convention would look like this: “Fort Wayne Web Design Fort Wayne XYZ ABC solutions and services.” That would make for a poor convention because it fails as a descriptive marketing phrase and reads badly.